Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sweet home, Chicago

I love listening to the sounds of the city. I'm sitting here on my balcony, and I can hear music from Big Star across the street, and I can't help but think about the tiny things that I love about this place. My balcony is one of my favorite places to be- It's where I go when I'm stressed, upset, and happy. Altogether, it's a great place for me. From my balcony in Wicker Park, I often sit (with a glass of wine) and listen to the sounds and watch the city go by.

I have seen and heard some crazy things from this spot- from the first few weeks at this apartment when Katie and I were sitting here around 1AM on a Saturday and heard two guys fighting over this girl. It was hilarious, and I remember thinking, "you can't get this type of entertainment anywhere else." There's that huge bus that would draw a crowd every night, but we never could figure out why. Of course we felt like assholes when we realized it was a church van giving out free medical care...but nonetheless, it was always something interesting to talk about.

I currently live above a 7-11 and have become a regular and favorite customer by the workers- Casey, Katie and I all have been. When I go in for my morning coffee they always ask "how come I haven't seen your husband in awhile?" I just giggle because I'm pretty sure they think we have some jaded threesome living arrangement, but it's actually comforting to know that when I get coffee in the morning- there is someone there that knows me by name and asks how I'm doing.

I'm sure it's weird and a little more sentimental that anyone needs to get about a city, but I just love it here.

Don't get me wrong, I am very excited about the changes that await me, (and even more excited that I will have a balcony that will only become unbearable to use about 17 days out of the year,)but nothing will ever be the same as sweet home Chicago :)

No comments: