Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends

Seattle in the summer. So beautiful

I wanted to start this by saying thank you. Over the last month there has been so much generosity shown to me and my family. We have received the most thoughtful cards in the mail, messages and phone calls and we couldn't appreciate it more.

I haven't been reaching out to many people myself, but I am so incredibly grateful that if I need anything, I have so many wonderful people to turn to. If you sent me a message that I haven't been able to respond to, please know that I am touched by your kindness. This is the hardest thing we've ever been through, and it's so comforting to know that people are thinking about us.

My dad is home from the hospital which is where he wants to be. He has started chemo and radiation and has been lucky to not feel the side effects yet other than being tired. The cancer is in his lung, liver and on his spine causing him to wear a neck brace at all times. I spoke to him yesterday to check in- his voice sounds weak from treatments, but he no longer sounds angry. He still references the bull that Casey told me to give him as his mascot through this. "We will fight this head on."

My grandma told me that while my dad was in the hospital he told the nurses who served him breakfast that he "promised his oldest daughter that he'd only eat organic." It feels good to know that while I wasn't able to talk to him, he was thinking about me. He reassured me that he's staying on the organic diet and taking the vitamin C supplements we gave him. Every little bit helps and apparently organic bacon tastes SO much better than the old kind :) I know he's doing everything he can to get through this.

So there's my update for now. I'm trying to avoid writing that's always so sad, so sorry for being a bummer. Please know how grateful I am for all of you and how much I appreciate your kind words and thoughts. :)

No comments: