Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The apple tree

I hope you know I am who I am today because of you. I wouldn't have it any other way. My blinding support of Chicago sports no matter how bad it gets- that's all you. My stubbornness, yet my yearning for everyone to get along. That's you. Ever since you saw Psycho in the 70's you always open the shower curtain when you're in the bathroom just in case. You never told me that you do that, but did you know that I do it to and I never knew why?

My favorite days were playing catch with you on our street and softball games when you were my coach. I loved that when I was 3 you took me to my swim classes and when i was older you taught me how to ride my bike. It was you that sewed my girl scout patches on, no one else. I like the Beatles because every weekend when we went to McDonald's for breakfast, they were always on the radio.

Remember Dr. Who and "want a jelly baby?" I may be convinced that where my obsession of Jelly Bellies comes from. Or watching Ghost Busters and making sure Slimer wasn't in my closet? You have always encouraged my creativity, my integrity, and my personality.

You have been a fighter for as long as I can remember, and this is no different. This time, I truly believe that your stubborn attitude will work in your favor. You are the peacemaker and the glue that keeps us all together. I hope you know that. I hope you know how much we love you and never have to question it.

I will fight beside you, for you, with you. Whatever it takes, because it's always been what you've done for me.

No comments: